Truth and Lies about the Civil War

Piper Walsh, Writer

Brother against brother on the war torn fields, among corpses ravaged by the toll of war, and the only determining factor of who died being who could reload faster. The Civil War was one of the worst wars in American history, and yet many people don’t actually know that much about it. It was fought between the North and South United States, and had something to do with slavery. The Civil War is an important part of American history which many people are misinformed about.

The Civil war lasted between April 12, 1861 and May 9, 1865. It was fought between the Union which was based in the North and the Confederate States of America which were based in the South. Abraham Lincoln was president during this time and led the Union. The death toll of the Civil War was around 2% of the total population, or around 620,000 deaths. There were many significant battles in the war, and the Union eventually emerged victorious.

Contrary to popular belief, Abraham Lincoln did not want to participate in the Civil war, and despite disliking slavery was willing to overlook it if it meant keeping the United States together. In addition, slavery was not the main cause of the Civil War; it was simply one of the factors that contributed to the growing tension between the Northern and Southern states. With the addition to many new territories, the South feared they were losing power and attempting to leave the United States was ultimately what started the Civil War.

Some of the other widespread facts about the civil war that are actually false are that the Emancipation Proclamation freed all slaves, the North was against racism, it was a close war, and the North won with good generals and military strategy. The Emancipation Proclamation only freed slaves from the states which had rebelled against the Union, which meant those in the border states were not freed. The North may have had its fair share of abolitionists, but slavery was deeply integrated into the culture of that time, as evidenced by the continuing racism and necessity of civil rights movements after the war. The North was much more powerful than the South and their resources and population were overwhelming, making it nearly impossible for them to have suffered a loss.

The Civil War is a fascinating subject with many misconceptions surrounding it. There were tons of technological and industrial advancements during this time period and addressing them all could take a lifetime. This was an important part of our history as Americans and is just a really cool subject, with everything from engineering, entrepreneurship, military strategy, blood and gore, and more. Everyone should know about this, because if you don’t know the past you are doomed to repeat it.

• Truth and Lies about the Civil War

Opinion

I Also Came Here to Learn

• Truth and Lies about the Civil War

Creative Writing and Art

Should College Be Free?

• Truth and Lies about the Civil War

Creative Writing and Art

Why (and how) Obama should go Green

• Truth and Lies about the Civil War

Creative Writing and Art

A Brief History of “Yinz”

• Truth and Lies about the Civil War

Creative Writing and Art

Are You a Nerd?

• Creative Writing and Art

An Eye for an Eye, An Ear for an Ear, and a Truth for a Lie

• Truth and Lies about the Civil War

Creative Writing and Art

Senior Citizen of the Week: Naveh

• Truth and Lies about the Civil War

Creative Writing and Art

Why the Customer is Never Right

• Truth and Lies about the Civil War

Comedy

Freshman of the Week: Johnny Sprinkle

• Truth and Lies about the Civil War

Comedy

Senior (Citizen) of the Week: Mr. Denlinger

Pittsburgh Barack Obama Academy of International Studies
Truth and Lies about the Civil War