International Women’s Day

Elena Hochheiser, Editor

Maya Angelou. Hillary Clinton. Malala Yousafzai. Mother Theresa. Harriet Tubman. Michelle Obama. Beyonce. Gloria Steinem. Rachel Carson. Eleanor Roosevelt. Coretta Scott King. Each of these persons are from different times, from different nations, of different skin colors, of different cultures. But they are all joined by one singular, undeniable truth: they are all strong, independent women. International Women’s Day was this past Wednesday, March 8, and was created to celebrate the women in our lives that are doing amazing things to change the world, or at least parts of it.

On March 8, the organizers of the Women’s March on Washington planned for there to be “A Day without a Woman”, a national strike designed for persons across the United States to feel the impact of what life would be like without women. They urged women across the country to go on strike and attend local protests, and hoped that everyone would join them in wearing red and refusing to buy products from stores not owned by a woman or a minority. In the photo above, Nancy Pelosi and other democratic congresswomen and men walk down the steps of  the capitol building to join the day’s strike.

This photo is of a sign that was displayed on the town hall in Oakland, California.

This photo is of a strike for International Women’s Day that occurred in Mexico City. Not surprisingly, persons in other nations joined in on Wednesday to protest and strike, just like they did on January 21st, the day of the Women’s march.

From Warsaw, Poland, this is an image of the marches they held there on Wednesday. Poland was a former communist country allied with the Soviet Union, an offspring of the Russian Revolution, which coincidentally started after a Women’s March for Equality on March 8 through the streets of Moscow in 1917.

This woman’s sign states a real truth: that she is there because most Women can’t leave work. The protests on Wednesday were a big part of how many American women viewed this International Women’s Day– a time to march for equal rights once more. But it is true that the majority of women who really need those equal rights do not have the flexibility to  go on strike, because they need the money they earn to support themselves and their families.

In Russia and the Netherlands, International Women’s Day is less of a political event and more of a time to celebrate women. It’s even considered a second Valentines day to many in those countries! As a part of that, flower sales are highest on this week than throughout the rest of the year. But to the ladies who love flowers, don’t be annoyed: there are plenty of places where you can go out and protest too.

All pictures are credited to Getty Images via Rolling Stone magazine

• International Women’s Day

Student News

Journalism Class Responds to the movie, Words and Pictures

• International Women’s Day

Local

Pittsburgh Climate March

• International Women’s Day

Local

Pittsburgh March for Science

• International Women’s Day

News

Top ten apps you need to use

• International Women’s Day

Local

Dan Gilman on Refugees and City Council

• International Women’s Day

Local

What Trump’s Budget Means for Pittsburgh

• International Women’s Day

Local

Pittsburgh Zoo Introduces New Animal

• International Women’s Day

International

Ireland is Going Green

• International Women’s Day

News In A Minute

News in a Minute: March 29

• International Women’s Day

International

News in a Minute: March 28, 2017

Pittsburgh Barack Obama Academy of International Studies
International Women’s Day