Currently Browsing: Sports

Lady Eagles win 5th straight championship in convincing fashion

Written by Olivia Perfetti, The Eagle Staff Writer

Girls Volleyball Team brings home another city championship

By Olivia Perfetti and Emma Somers

This past Thursday, the Lady Eagles took on Carrick for their first match on their journey to reclaim the title of city champions! The team got off to a good start and won their first game 25 to 20. That game was followed by an amazing win – 25 to 9 – which secured a triumph against Carrick. In their second match, against Allderdice, the Eagles once again knocked their opponent off 25 to 15, and then 25-17. The team secured a place in the championships, which would be played later that day against the winner of the Allderdice and Brashear game (Brashear had beaten Carrick). When asked about the game, Senior Anna Vitti replied: “I thought we played really well. And I was really, really happy with the way we pulled those two out, I think we really needed to.”

In a shocking win against Dice, Brashear moved on to the championship and battled the Lady Eagles for the gold. The first match was a close one, with both Brashear and Obama getting some nice serves inbound and playing hard. Sophomore Rosa Vitti scored multiple aces, as did sophomore Georgia Bubash and Junior Kyra Woodworth. Freshman Kennedy Bowens also did a fantastic job in the back setting up the ladies at the net. And in the end, the team rallied and beat Brashear in the first game. The second game was not so close- after a short while the Eagles were up 24 to 8. And with a beautiful serve by sophomore Hannah Williams, and much cheering on the sidelines, the Lady Eagles won the city championship of 2012.

The stats from Assistant Coach Steve show that the two top players for this championship were Anna Vitti and Junior Gabby Egler. 40% of Anna’s hits were kills, and 50% of Gabby’s hits were kills. The team as a whole had 21 digs total, and hit 250. When asked about the game, Gabby said: “We had some rough parts, but we pushed through and I’m really looking forward to next year!”

Coach Vitti also had something to say. “We came out a little shaky against Carrick, but we had a lot of great serves inbounds. I feel that we had a very solid win against Dice and that secured the championship for us.”

The team will proceed to states on November 6th. Let’s go Eagles!