Currently Browsing: Student News

IB Art goes the extra mile

Written by Rhonna Ly, Molly Newell, The Eagle Senior Writers

Being an IB school has its perks and extra work even in the subject of Art. It’s not the same art being taught by regular schools, it’s something bigger and better. IB Art provides the students a deeper insight and thought on the production of art.  The main thing that sets IB art apart from art taught in regular schools is the progression that we as art students go through to get our final product.

The first step for doing an art project in Mr. Dunnabeck’s class is to “develop an idea based on a research component.”  This helps inspire you and informs you about the type of art you’ll be doing. When you do the background research, you are supposed to document what you find in your Developmental Workbook (DW).  You should also document each step of your project in your DW by describing what you did, why you did it and what you think of your project so far.  The most important things to document are any changes you make and “explain why you made them,” Mr. Dunnabeck says.  After you finish the project, you write a reflection. In the reflection, discuss what you did, what you learned, and what you could have done differently or done better.

Of course, just like any other art class, it helps to have a teacher with professional experience in the field that she is teaching.  Mrs. Hetrick, the ceramics teacher, has been working with clay for over 20 years but has only been teaching ceramics for a fraction of that time.  She and her husband are both potters and have their own studio in the Southside.  She graduated from Peabody High School and took ceramics for all four years and loved it so much that she went to college and “ended up majoring in art with a focus in ceramics.”

In another comparison of IB Art versus Regular Art, Ms. Coyne describes IB Art as being “more process orientated, research driven, and independent.” There are further discussions, readings, and homework. As an IB Art teacher, Ms. Coyne instills lessons of the significance of going through the process yourself. “I don’t show the end product because the students determine it.” Students who take art in middle school ought to “follow through and stick with it” so they can have a strong foundation ready for the commitment and development of skill sets in High School IB Art. Ms. Coyne explains that the seniors have a strong body of work that has a theme.

Overall, IB Art is a bit more independent and has more research but it’s a ton of fun even more than regular art!