Sadie Hawkins: Reflecting on What Wasn’t

Daevan Mangalmurti, Writer

In a somewhat surprising turn of events, the annual Sadie Hawkins dance was cancelled as of this Tuesday, bringing sadness to some and joy to what was likely an equal number. While by now this news has made its way around the school many times over, only recently have we at the Eagle had a chance to get a behind the scenes look at what influenced that decision.

I sat down with Nick Mondor, senior class treasurer, for a discussion on the reasoning behind the cancellation. He explained that “[The dance] was cancelled due to issues with the planning and scheduling. There were concerns that we wouldn’t be ready in time.” He said that the blame for the failure of the dance to come together largely fell on the shoulders of the senior class, which was responsible for organizing it. “I think at the end of the day we had a situation of the senior class being lame and not getting on board, so essentially we were let down from within.” Conversely, senior Makayla Suska felt that part of the blame lies with the senior class officers, namely class president Ethan Reed and class treasurer Nick Mondor for not being organized enough and not living up to their responsibilities. Makayla was also unenthusiastic about the western theme of the dance, which was decided on by Mr. Ehman. Regardless of where the fault lies, the issues involved in planning the dance eventually led to Mr. Ehman choosing to press the cancel button.

While Nick said the dance would not be rescheduled, he was hopeful that it will be revived next year or sometime in the future. He advised students with tickets who were not able to get refunds on Thursday the 16th to speak to him personally to get their money back. The mood after news of the cancellation broke out has been varied, with one student I spoke to (who did not wish to be named) saying “I had mixed feelings about going at all. It didn’t bother me that much that it was cancelled.” Freshman Lydia Thomas had the opposite reaction, mentioning “I was sad that Sadie Hawkins was cancelled.” There has been an unexpected plus for some who bought tickets, though. Piper Walsh said “I was happy about the surprise ten dollars.”

Pittsburgh Barack Obama Academy of International Studies