Currently Browsing: Student News

Bronies and Pegasisters and Ponies, Oh My!

Written by Sophia Kachur, Obama Eagle Staff Reporter

Ahh, My Little Pony, we all remember it. The atrocious looking ponies, with the cheesy story lines, but now, all that has changed! The animation is new and improved, the characters have been altered, and the story lines are much better! Now we have a whole fan base, aged from the tiniest tot, to the youthful teen boy. Did I just say teenage boy ? Yes I did! The surprising new twist on My Little Pony has caught the attention of a new audience. The series, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, has caught the eyes of numerous TV watchers. These viewers have dubbed themselves bronies and pegasisters. Bronies are “bros who like My little Pony” (guys who like to watch MLP) and most girls like to adopt this name too. For those girls who don’t take to the label of brony, there is also pegasister or the newly fashioned hoofsister.

The developer of this TV show, Lauren Faust, has worked on other major cartoons such as The Powerpuff Girls, Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends, and Codename:Kids Next Door. She has been a major help in encouraging the growth of the fandom, and although she has stepped down from her position as executive producer, is still majorly involved in the fan base. Faust is considered a mother figure of the bronies. She definitely encourages us to be our pony loving selves, even if we march around singing the Cutie mark Crusader’s theme song!

Some may say we’re crazy or weird for liking “a little girl” show, but I wouldn’t agree. Everyone’s a little crazy in their own way, and if you’d like to say that our love of the good natured, heartfelt, and even funny show is weird, well, to each his own. But before you start to judge, you should seriously watch the show! You may not like it, but you also may come to love it and have a passion for it as much as the rest of us. Anyway, you don’t want to miss out on all the fun we’ll be having at Pinkie Pie’s party, inviting all of Ponyville, Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Rarity, and Applejack will be sure to make an appearance.