The Best Movies Ever. Period.

The Best Movies Ever. Period.

Piper Walsh, Writer

Movies are some of the most amazing things ever invented. They bring the viewer into a story, which can be paused or replayed infinitely many times, and show fantastic realities and wonders. They can bring joy and tears, laughter and silence, love and hate. Most people enjoy movies, whether in a theater or at home, but after exploring the reaches of sites such as Netflix, it can seem as though the world’s supply of enticing movies has been exhausted.

Action and Adventure

Seven Samurai (PG-13)-When a poor village is under attack from bandits, seven samurai are recruited to protect it.

The Treasure of Sierra Madre (PG)-An old prospector is coerced into joining two Americans searching for gold in the Sierra Madre Mountains of Mexico.

The Good the Bad and the Ugly (R)- In a race for buried treasure and uneasy alliance is formed between a bounty hunter and two other men,

The Hurt Locker (R)-When assigned to a bomb squad, a sergeant clashed with his army bomb squad as a result of his unorthodox methods in the Iraq War.

Comedy and Drama

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (PG)-A unique adventure is full of ridicule as King Arthur and his knights embark on their divine quest to retrieve the holy grail.

Bend it Like Beckham (PG-13)-A girl rebels against her strict Indian parents in order to join the school’s soccer team.

Blazing Saddles (R)-In an attempt to destroy a down a black sheriff is appointed by a corrupt politician, but they soon find each other at odds.

Dr. Strangelove (Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb) (PG)-The struggle between an insane general and those who would stop him as he attempts to bring about nuclear war.

Crime and Courtroom

Pulp Fiction (R)-Through four stories of violence the lives of two hitmen, a boxer, a gangster’s wife, and a pair of diner bandits intertwine.

The Godfather (R)-Control of a mafia empire is transferred from the patriarch to the reluctant, free spirited son.

The Sting (PG)-A young con man joins up with the master of his craft in order to seek revenge for his dead partner, and gain a fortune.

Anatomy of a Murder (G)-A man is being charged for murder of the local bartender, and his only defense is that he suffered temporary insanity after the victim raped his wife.

Horror and Suspense

Psycho (R)-When impulse takes over and a young woman unhappy with her job takes off after stealing $40,000, she stays at a unique hotel run by a unique young man  heavily influenced by his mother.

The Shining (R)- A family heads to an isolated hotel where the supernatural roam and a demonic presence slowly takes control.

The Blair Witch Project (R)-After traveling into the Maryland woods searching for the local legend, three film students disappear leaving their footage behind.

Sixth Sense (PG-13)- A young boy is plagued by the ghosts only he can see, and seeks help from a children’s psychiatrist.

Fantasy and Myth

The Princess Bride (PG)-An epic adventure full of sword fights and monsters, as the hero must fight to save his love before she escapes his reach.

The Wizard of Oz (G)-A young girl is swept up in a whirlwind and spirited away to the fantasy land of Oz, where she must journey and battle witches is her fight to return home.

Jack the Giant Slayer (PG-13)-When a bridge is formed between the worlds of giant and man, an ancient war is reignited.

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (PG)-Four siblings discover the magical world behind a wardrobe where they get swept up in the war to retake Narnia’s freedom.

Science Fiction and Apocalyptic

Inception (PG-13)-A thief is recruited because of his dream stealing magic to manipulate the mind of a CEO.

Blade Runner (R)-Replicants have taken over L.A, and it is a cop’s job to hunt down four of these human like androids after they have stolen a ship and are attempting to find their creator.

The Matrix (R)-A computer hacker learns that he is imprisoned in a virtual reality system, The Matrix, and that he might be the only one that can free them all.

Mad Max (R)-An Australian cop seeks revenge against the gangs who murdered his family on the blood stained streets of post-apocalyptic Australia.

Classics

Forrest Gump (PG-13)-A man coincidentally  finds himself participating in the most memorable events of his time, while never forgetting his childhood love.

James Bond, Dr. No (PG)-When investigating the disappearance of a colleague, a government agent gets caught up with a scheme to end the American Space Program.

Breakfast at Tiffany’s (NR)-A New York socialite is interested by the struggling writer who moves into her building.

Singin’ in the Rain (G)-A film companie overcomes various challenges as its actors make the transition from silent films to sound.