What Is One Young World?

What is One Young World (OYW)? One Young World is a global forum for young leaders around the world from ages 18-30. The purpose is to unite the world’s brightest young men and women, to ensure their opinions and ideas about problems all over the world.

“The four-day Summit will serve as a platform for delegates, supported by high-profile counselors, to address and identify solutions to the same issues that world leaders tackle every day – including global business and health, education and sustainable development, unemployment, the role of government versus global business, leadership and governance and social business.”

The main topics discussed at OYW are:

•   Food Justice (Jamie Oliver)

•   Education

•   Sustainable Development (environment)

•   Leadership – will your generation do a better job?

•   Greater Transparency and less corruption in business and government

•   Human Rights -especially for minorities

•   Role of Global Business -striking a balance between profits and benefits to society

David Jones and Kate Robinson founded one Young World in 2009, and held the first summit in 2010. “After each Summit, the newly-minted One Young World Ambassadors work on their own projects and initiatives or lend the power of the One Young World network to those already in existence. Of those in employment, many return to their companies and set about creating change from within, energizing their corporate environment”

This year One Young World is coming to Pittsburgh. Why is that important? Around 1,500 delegates from 196 countries are expected descend upon our city.  The world summit will be taking place on October 18-22.

“The Summit will begin with an Opening Ceremony held in Heinz Hall for the Performing Arts, set to music from the world-famous Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra and the Children’s Festival Chorus of Pittsburgh.” After the ceremony the delegate will “spill out onto the street for a Welcome Bridge Party with fireworks on the Roberto Clemente Bridge”. “Delegates will attend breakout sessions held at the University of Pittsburgh’s Cathedral of Learning Nationality Rooms and in several sites around Pittsburgh, and enjoy relaxed evening dinners in Heinz Field and with families all over the city, who will open their doors and hearts to One Young World.”

You can find more information at http://www.oneyoungworld.com/pittsburgh

OYW Summit coming to Pittsburgh is one thing, but the fact that three Obama Academy students are attending as the very first OYW Summit Student Reporters is incredible. Arthur King (AJ), LaTionna Russell, and myself Sarah Parker, will be representing Obama Academy at the Summit. We will be there as reporters for not only OYW but our school newspaper the Eagle as well, so we can report our news directly to you, our school as well. We will also be attending a Media Boot Camp:  Thursday October 4 afterschool (4-8 PM) at the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust, and Friday October 5 from about 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM.  There we will learn how to be a reporter from Tony Norman and other media experts. At OYW there will be iconic people giving speeches and lectures such as Bill Clinton, Nobel Prize Winner Desmond Tutu, Jamie Oliver, Tony Norman, Bill Flannigan, Bob Geldof, the guy who invented Wikipedia, and Arianna Huffington.

It gets even cooler. Arthur, LaTionna, and I will be on WPXI Our Region’s Business, which will be airing on September 30, 2012 at 11am to talk about OYW and YMAP (Youth Media Advocacy Program).