Proud Daughter of Holocaust Survivor Gives Thoughts On the Synagogue Shooting

Tiphani Robinson, Writer

It was Saturday, October 27, when I was casually riding in my uncle’s car and my nana and uncle began to rant out of pure anger. As I listened in, trying to figure out what had happened, my cousin curiously asked. My nana explained to us that 11 Jewish men and women in a synagogue had been shot and killed. I could only think of one person-Susan Tell.

Tiphani Robinson: What was your general reaction when you first heard about the shooting?

Susan Tell: Absolute shock, then anger.

TR: Why do you think that some people hold such a strong hatred towards Jewish people?

ST: Bigotry is rampant in our country. Hatred towards Jews goes back thousands of years. Today, many people stereotype us as rich, head of companies, doctors, lawyers, and bankers. Most Jews had to become business owners because they were not hired by non-Jews. Also, because of that, Jews believe in higher education in order to be able to succeed financially. We learned that we had to become self-sufficient.

TR: If he were alive, how do you think your father would react?   

ST: My dad would have been angry, but he wouldn’t have said anything publicly or reacted publicly. He survived in the concentration camps by keeping a low profile. He would have probably been fearful that history is repeating itself.

TR: How hard did this hit you on a scale of 1-10? Did it hit you harder because you personally relate?

ST: It hit me on a 10+++++. I am still having great difficulty dealing with what happened. It absolutely hit me hard because I can personally relate. I knew two of the victims murdered. One was a good friend many years ago. He also was the child of Holocaust survivors.

TR: Do you believe that the lack of diversity in a majority of schools contributes to this type of hatred?

ST: Diversity in schools has something to do with it, but I grew up in an all-white school with people who were mostly Christian. The reason for this is because Pittsburgh is a city with segregated communities. My parents taught my siblings and I that all people are equal. I visited churches with my friends, and in the 1960s went to play with a friend’s children in the Hill district. All of us are born without hatred.  Hate is learned.

TR: Do you think that schools should be required to talk more about incidents such as this? Why or why not?

ST: Absolutely!! Many educators are afraid to tackle the topics of hatred, bigotry, and stereotypes. From being in classes with me, you know that I discuss these topics head on!

TR: Do events like this ever make you fear practicing your beliefs?

ST: No! I have always worn a Star of David around my neck. I used to wear it tucked in. I now wear it “loud and proud!” I am even more determined to share my religious beliefs. I will never allow fear to stop me from practicing my religion. My grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins were killed because of their religion. I will not let their deaths be in vain.

TR: Lastly, what is one message that you wish you can push through people’s heads?

ST: The message I want to get through people’s heads is that we are all the same. We are all human beings that share this earth. We have to stop teaching to tolerate, but rather that we all must get along with each other. We all bleed red, and unfortunately too many people are bleeding due to hatred.

While it’s definitely a sensitive topic for her, Mrs. Tell didn’t hesitate to share her honest, unfiltered, and meaningful views. She didn’t let her emotions get in the way of anything and she still wears her religion with pride. She shows clear understanding on the basis of hate and believes in a world of acceptance and equality. She has tremendously helped me throughout my 7th and 8th grade school years and contributes to our community with her Propel Backpack Feeding Program. This is why she is one of the most admirable women that I know and is assuredly a huge role model for me. 

• Proud Daughter of Holocaust Survivor Gives Thoughts On the Synagogue Shooting

All Posts

Reflecting on the Life of Jonathan Freeman

All Posts

Author, Harvard Professor Jill Lepore on the Historical Record and the Direction of the Future

All Posts

An Interview with Mayor Marita Garrett

Academics

Movie Reviews: Keeping Lessons from History Alive

Senior Of The Week

Senior of the Week: Atavia Carter

All Posts

Speaker Series: Producer, Designer, DJ on Making Money with Media

All Posts

LeadYoung Initiative Week 5: Mahika Halepete

All Posts

Post-Gazette Executive Editor to Step Down

All Posts

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette News Editor Lillian Thomas Visits Obama!

All Posts

LeadYoung Initiative Week 4: Sarah Toumi

Senior Of The Week

Senior of the Week: The Brain of a Boxer (Laron Rockymore)

All Posts

LeadYoung Initiative Week 3: Ara Kusuma

All Posts

What It’s like to Intern for a Political Candidate

All Posts

Junior Class Launching Toy Drive

All Posts

Senior of the Week: Mikaela DeCarlo

All Posts

LeadYoung Initiative Week 2: Peyton Klein

Student Life

Obama Shreds Hate with the Pittsburgh Pirates

All Posts

LeadYoung Initiative Week 1: Joshua Williams

All Posts

Netflix Suggestions- Options for a Rainy Day

All Posts

Teacher Feature: Ms. Stovash

All Posts

The Problem With School Bus Stops

All Posts

The Reality of Gun Violence

All Posts

U.S. Senator Bob Casey Answers Our Questions

Sports

James Conner

Entertainment

Pennsylvania Hex

All Posts

School Board Votes Down Guns for Police Officers: An Inside Look

All Posts

Obama Students Meet With CMU Professors

All Posts

The Worst Things Bring out the Best of People

All Posts

Pittsburgh Grieves for the Dead

All Posts

A Series of Poems About Abuse

Pittsburgh Barack Obama Academy of International Studies