Author, Harvard Professor Jill Lepore on the Historical Record and the Direction of the Future

Jill+Lepore

Jill Lepore

Jill Lepore

Jill Lepore

Jill Lepore

Sam Bisno, Editor-in-Chief

“It might sound inflammatory, but I truly believe that we will one day look back on social media as we now look back on slavery.”

If there’s one thing Jill Lepore isn’t, it’s afraid to make her opinions known.

The author, New Yorker staff writer, and Harvard professor graciously stopped by Obama on Monday for a question and answer session with a group of juniors and seniors. She was in town for a Pittsburgh Arts & Lectures seminar.

Most of the students in attendance had read at least some of her most recent book, These Truths: A History of the United States, which, as its name suggests, offers a political history of America beginning in 1492. In it, Lepore often references the inherent flaws in the historical record that emanate from the simple fact that different areas of the world developed systems of writing at different points, and that for the vast majority of human history nothing was written down. Thus, many student questions centered around Lepore’s contribution to this imperfect archive, from how she determines what to include in books to how she remains unbiased in her work.

Throughout the discussion, Lepore was unabashed in pointing out what she sees as shortcomings in the historical community. When she was writing her 2005 book New York Burning, about slavery in New York, she says she had to look past the traditional narrative of New York as a progressive force and read in between the lines of the testimonies of slaves being accused of arson to piece together truths about the vibrant African-American community that existed in the state long before Emancipation.

She also warned against presentism, saying that it’s necessary to understand how individuals looked at the world in a given time period rather than projecting modern values onto past actions: “I try to let the dead speak for themselves.”

There were too many raised hands and not enough time as questions bounced from topic to topic: Lepore’s personal journey to becoming an author (she initially wanted to be a journalist but became enthralled with how events past have shaped today’s world), the logistics of working with publishers, the dangers of making assumptions when dealing with history, and, of course, social media, which Lepore believes to have “no redeeming qualities whatsoever.”

In response to one question about whether history does indeed “bend towards justice,” Lepore said that although certain aspects of 2019’s reality, such as climate change, are trending downward, “there were times in the past when it was much worse than it is now.”

Sam Bisno, Editor-in-Chief

“When I was looking at the electives list before school started in ninth grade and I saw the option for a journalism class, I was ecstatic. Writing has...

• Author, Harvard Professor Jill Lepore on the Historical Record and the Direction of the Future

All Posts

Senior of the Week: Ta’Shown Taylor

All Posts

Students Frustrated by New Bus Pass Failures

All Posts

LeadYoung Initiative: Sophie Levitt

All Posts

Reflecting on the Life of Jonathan Freeman

All Posts

An Interview with Mayor Marita Garrett

Academics

Movie Reviews: Keeping Lessons from History Alive

Senior Of The Week

Senior of the Week: Atavia Carter

All Posts

Speaker Series: Producer, Designer, DJ on Making Money with Media

All Posts

LeadYoung Initiative Week 5: Mahika Halepete

All Posts

Post-Gazette Executive Editor to Step Down

All Posts

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette News Editor Lillian Thomas Visits Obama!

All Posts

LeadYoung Initiative Week 4: Sarah Toumi

Senior Of The Week

Senior of the Week: The Brain of a Boxer (Laron Rockymore)

All Posts

LeadYoung Initiative Week 3: Ara Kusuma

All Posts

What It’s like to Intern for a Political Candidate

All Posts

Junior Class Launching Toy Drive

All Posts

Senior of the Week: Mikaela DeCarlo

All Posts

LeadYoung Initiative Week 2: Peyton Klein

Student Life

Obama Shreds Hate with the Pittsburgh Pirates

All Posts

LeadYoung Initiative Week 1: Joshua Williams

All Posts

Netflix Suggestions- Options for a Rainy Day

All Posts

Teacher Feature: Ms. Stovash

All Posts

The Problem With School Bus Stops

All Posts

The Reality of Gun Violence

All Posts

Proud Daughter of Holocaust Survivor Gives Thoughts On the Synagogue Shooting

All Posts

U.S. Senator Bob Casey Answers Our Questions

Sports

James Conner

Entertainment

Pennsylvania Hex

All Posts

School Board Votes Down Guns for Police Officers: An Inside Look

All Posts

Obama Students Meet With CMU Professors

Pittsburgh Barack Obama Academy of International Studies