“Savior Samuel” Celebrates 15th Anniversary of Pittsburgh Playwrights Theater Company

Set of Savior Samuel prior to performance

Sam Bisno, Editor-in-Chief

“A lesson sixteen years in the making.” This is the very first line in the program of Savior Samuel, a new Pittsburgh Playwrights Theatre Company (PPTCO) production by Mark Clayton Southers. Southers, an award-winning playwright and resident of the Hill District, explains in a candid written introduction how the play had sat in a box in his attic since 2002 after a guest took issue with its subject matter during an initial reading. It was only after Artistic Associate (and eventual director) Monteze Freeland inquired about staging one of Southers’s plays in celebration of the company’s fifteenth year of existence that Savior once again saw the light of day.

Set in the Midwest circa 1877, Savior centers around an African-American couple and their young daughter, Essie (Aaliyah Sanders), who becomes mysteriously impregnated. Like Sanders, Essie is deaf, meaning she is unable to disclose who the father is. Despite being unwanted by seemingly everyone, the baby proves capable of performing miracle after miracle, as those who touch him invariably undergo an inexplicable recovery from whatever is plaguing them, resulting in a grand — if somewhat predictable — reveal.

Notwithstanding its lack of polish at times — the first and second acts feel somewhat disjointed, some interactions seem out of place or altogether unnecessary, and its message is expounded without much subtlety — Savior Samuel manages to explore themes of race, ownership, and family in an engaging and provocative manner. It is technically impressive: the set, designed by Diane Melchitzky, is impeccable; the lighting (Latrice Lovett) is effective in setting the mood of each scene; and the score (Dwayne Fulton), although sometimes a tad overbearing, is moving. But the acting is where the play really shines: every character, from the stalwart but misguided Benjamin (Wali Jamal) to the good-natured but conflicted Doctor Rory (Jonathan Berry) to the comical Dukem (Sam Lothard), is masterfully portrayed. The result is a theatrically solid production hindered only slightly by a rough-around-the-edges plot.

Yesterday marked the end of the play’s run, but keep your eyes peeled for upcoming PTTCO shows.

Sam Bisno, Editor-in-Chief

“When I was looking at the electives list before school started in ninth grade and I saw the option for a journalism class, I was ecstatic. Writing has...

• “Savior Samuel” Celebrates 15th Anniversary of Pittsburgh Playwrights Theater Company

All Posts

Obama YAG Wins Big at Model Convention

All Posts

Senior of the week: Jason Thomas

All Posts

A Day After Protests, Students Share Why They Didn’t Go

All Posts

Who Will be the Democratic Presidential Candidate in 2020?

All Posts

Michael Rosfeld’s Acquittal is Just Another in a Long Line of Abuses of Power

All Posts

Michael Rosfeld Acquitted on All Charges for the Killing of Antwon Rose II

All Posts

Senior of the Week: Mya Young

All Posts

Dr. Knox and Mr. Mal

All Posts

Senior of the Week: Raven Haston

All Posts

Northside Chronicle Editor Ashlee Green on Hyper-Local Journalism

All Posts

The Green Book

All Posts

Why Going BPA-Free Might Not Be As Great As You Think

All Posts

Senior of the Week Talaya Caldwell

All Posts

Responses to The Hate U Give

All Posts

Black Life

All Posts

Senior of the Week: Ava Eckenrode

All Posts

Senior of the Week: Ta’Shown Taylor

All Posts

Students Frustrated by New Bus Pass Failures

All Posts

LeadYoung Initiative: Sophie Levitt

All Posts

Reflecting on the Life of Jonathan Freeman

All Posts

Author, Harvard Professor Jill Lepore on the Historical Record and the Direction of the Future

All Posts

An Interview with Mayor Marita Garrett

All Posts

Movie Reviews: Keeping Lessons from History Alive

All Posts

Senior of the Week: Atavia Carter

All Posts

Speaker Series: Producer, Designer, DJ on Making Money with Media

All Posts

LeadYoung Initiative Week 5: Mahika Halepete

All Posts

Post-Gazette Executive Editor to Step Down

All Posts

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette News Editor Lillian Thomas Visits Obama!

All Posts

LeadYoung Initiative Week 4: Sarah Toumi

All Posts

Senior of the Week: The Brain of a Boxer (Laron Rockymore)

Pittsburgh Barack Obama Academy of International Studies