Obama students shine at 2nd annual Pittsburgh all-star game

Brandon Hutton, The Eagle Senior Writer

The 2nd annual Pittsburgh all-star soccer game began at 2:30 down at Cupples field on Sunday. Seniors Quinn Anderson, Micah Byrum, Daniel Denlinger and Sam Lapp, along with junior Yoka Rooney, sophomore Abe Kouyate, and Evan Buchheit of Sci-Tech all represented Obama. The game consisted of two teams: east and west. The east consisted of Obama, Allderdice, and another school that was unannounced. The west consisted of Carrick, Brashear, and Westinghouse.

The game opened with the East controlling the ball for quite a while. However, they were unable to get any type of shot onto the West’s goalie. No good shot came through until about ten minutes in when Obama player Abe Kouyate scored. After his goal, the east started to dominate ball control. A student from Allderdice made it 2-0 on a free kick just outside the box that slowly trickled in. Abe Kouyate scored another goal for the East on a nice feed from an Allderdice player that practically gave him an open net. The east scored yet another goal, this one provided by an Allderdice player, that put the east up by a large margin of 4-0. However, Denlinger’s shutout didn’t last as the West scored a goal off a rebound with only a little amount of time to go in the first half. However, the east counter attacked in a small amount of time to make it 5-1.

The second half was less eventful. The east only scored one more goal which was made by an Allderdice student. The East had three very good opportunities to score but the West’s goalie played very well in the second half.