C.H.A.N.G.E.S. club an opportunity to see a different academic picture

A picture of last year's club

Kyra Woodworth, The Eagle Senior Writer

Last week, 20 or more students from North Hills High School came to visit our school. If you were wondering why we had 20 students from the suburbs at our school, then I’m here to answer your question. They are a part of the C.H.A.N.G.E.S Club at North Hills High School. And if you didn’t know, we too, at Obama, have a C.H.A.N.G.E.S Club.

The C.H.A.N.G.E.S Club is for students in grades 9-12. This program attempts to bring students from diverse backgrounds together, by engaging them in different service projects.  C.H.A.N.G.E.S helps students “develop self-awareness, collaboration, time management skills, and leadership skills.”  This club is sponsored by the YMCA and other organizations in Pittsburgh.

The C.H.A.N.G.E.S Club meets every other Tuesday during our Club One QRT period. It was originally a part of the Key Club, run by Mrs. Wilson. However, it was soon changed to the C.H.A.N.G.E.S Club, led by Mr. Demmler.

Obama will partner with two other schools, North Hills and U-Prep, and over the year the students will participate in three different activities together. First, they will do Service Learning Projects, where the students will partner with non-profit agencies throughout Pittsburgh. This will give the students an opportunity to learn more about the non-profit organizations in their communities. Second, the students will participate in Workshops and Forums housed on Pitt’s campus. This is where students will participate in discussions lead by YMCA College Positive Volunteers. Last, students will participate in School Exchanges, the first of which has already taken place at Obama. This will allow students to experience the different atmospheres at each other’s schools.

The C.H.A.N.G.E.S. Club is a great way to meet different students from different schools, serve our community, and it looks great on college applications. If this sounds like something you might be interested in, you should see Mr. Demmler.