Senior of the Week: Ian Thomas

Senior of the Week: Ian Thomas

Senior Ian Thomas

Senior Ian Thomas

Senior Ian Thomas

Senior Ian Thomas

Amila Niksic, Writer

Known as The Frenchman, the kid with the pineapple backpack, the best soccer player at Obama, and most recognizably, Yanny T, this week’s Senior of the Week is none other than Ian Thomas. Ian will be attending Carnegie Mellon University in the fall as a member of their soccer team. Learn more about one of Obama’s own below.

What is your favorite memory of Obama?

There are so many that I’ll never forget, but the trophy has to go to Dr. Walters, the days he would sit behind the security camera screens, and yell at kids over the loudspeaker, by name no less, as he saw them skipping class or involved in some other kind of shenanigan. Classic.

What will you miss the most?

Oh, easy. I’ll miss Ms. Murt’s [sic] voice as she calls down about half the school’s students, one at a time over the loud speaker during class, so loud that MY brain feels like it was shakin’ my dome. Every period. Every day. Oh joy.

Would you recommend Obama to incoming students?

One hundred percent. Sure, there are the difficulties of the high school experience, but you’ll find those anywhere. This last year in particular, I’ve realized just how much I’ve learned from my teachers here and my experience here. I will truly leave Obama prepared to continue my studies, wherever that may lead me. Just remember, get ready for Ms. Murt’s [sic] announcements.

What is one thing you would like to see changed about our school?

I think I’d prefer to see the administration seek out the opinions and thoughts of students in a more direct way, or at least form a structure in which the student voice can be heard, and can contribute to the growth of our school. Plus I need to find somebody to talk to about the volume on this dang PA system.

What is something you like to do in your free time?

Historically, my largest commitment has been to numerous soccer teams and clubs. But recently I’ve been working on getting involved with a lot of other clubs and activities like the track team, ultimate frisbee team, Obama Black Student Union (no, you don’t have to be black to be in it, room 151 every Tuesday during QRT), and the Pittsburgh Student Activist Coalition. Not to mention Obama’s own Vegan-only American Yodelers Club.

What’s your favorite store?

Farm Fresh Market. Rural and Negley. They got legit Turkish delight that makes you feel like you’re in Narnia with the White Witch and also they serve 99 cent Mucho Mango, only the best drink on this side of the Atlantic.

What is your favorite food?

Hm. It’s gotta be one, single Maple Bacon donut from Peace, Love, and Little Donuts in the Strip. No more, no less. The epitome of culinary perfection.

What is something you’d like to accomplish in life?  (it can be anything)

Awe jeez, you can’t expect me to answer this in less than 500 words, PEDLIGS, OPVL and all. I’ve got a few goals though: contributing what I can in the long journey of racial reconciliation, working towards building unique communities that are places of support and brother/sisterhood. Lotsa deep stuff. Really just doing all that I can to bring the good I can to the world. Call me idealistic. Ask me again in 10 years, see where I’m at.

Who is your favorite teacher?

There are lots of incredible teachers and good people working here. I’ve got to say my man Big B Shnaveh. He’s a keeper.

Any shoutouts or last words?

Just the usual. Shouts out to my boys Longschneck the Giraffe King and Shawd the Bosnian Goat Herder. They the realest. A1 since the get go. Can’t forget the slickest sis on the planet, Lydsie T: if I’ve got a favorite human on the planet, it’s her without a second thought.

Author’s Note: Please excuse the week delay for this article. It took approximately 1 week and 3 drafts for Ian to be satisfied with his word and picture choice.