Holi and Nowruz

People celebrating Holi

People celebrating Holi

People celebrating Holi

John Wesesky, Writer

There are thousands of holidays and celebrations that are celebrated all around the world. Some are in specific regions, belong to specific religions, or are only celebrated in certain countries. The list goes on and on. There are still holidays and celebrations being made to this day. Yet, there are still big celebrations that some have never heard of, two of them possibly being Holi or Nowruz.

Holi is a festival that is celebrated in India that has been in existence for thousands of years and marks the beginning of spring. It is celebrated on the last full moon day of the Hindu lunisolar calendar month. It is usually in March, but it starts earlier in West Bengal and Odisha. In Northern Uttar Pradesh, the festivities last over a week. The origins of this festival go back to the Hindu legend of Holika. Holika was a female demon and the sister of the demon King Hiranyakashyap. The legend goes that Hiranyakashyap thought he was the supreme overlord of everything and everyone. This meant that when Prahlad, his son, put his faith in and followed Vishnu, Hiranyakashyap became furious and wanted to kill his son. He ordered his son to sit on Holika’s lap as they went into a bonfire. He knew that Holika had special garments that protected her from fire, but by having the boy sit in her lap, the garments wrapped around Prahlad and Holika burned to death. Then in the aftermath, Vishnu came to Hiranyakashyap and killed him. To celebrate her cremation, on the day before Holi, called Holika Dahan, people of India make bonfires and burn them. The day afterwards is called Holi, which is most commonly associated with throwing colors and water. The actual holiday was first brought up in a 4th century poem and then again in a 7th century Sanskrit play called “Ratnavali” written by then Indian Emperor Harsha. It was said that the tradition of throwing colors on each other comes from the story of Radha and Krishna. Krishna, the dark-complexioned god, had complained to his mom that Radha had very poor skin. His mom responded by telling him to paint his face so that it looks good. That’s what he did and now people throw colored powder during Holi. There are also some rules with Holi. For example, children should throw water onto elders and women should splash the men with color. However, people are having too much fun and forget all the rules. When asked about it, sophomore Daevan Mangalmurti said that he usually spends the holiday solely by telling his grandmother, “Happy Holi”, but he has thrown colors a few times in his life.

The other holiday is called Nowruz, also known as the Persian New Year. It has roots in Zoroastrianism, a very old religion dating back to the 6th century B.C. It is not only for people of this religion; it is inclusive of everyone. It occurs during the vernal equinox, during March. The people who celebrate this holiday are Iranians, Indians, Turks, and Afghans. The main tradition is Haft Seen. This is when a table is set up with 7 different items that start with the Persian letter “S”. One woman described the way she set up her table. She talked about how she set up family heirlooms, made the table nice with a satin sheet, and put a mirror on it. Then she went into detail about the food she put out, and there was a lot. There was samanu (a sweet paste), garlic, lentil, sprouts, apples, dishes of vinegar, and sumac. All of these, when spelled in Persian, begin with an “S”. She also put out some eggs, coins, hyacinth, a bowl of fish, and Iranian poetry books. Then to add even more food, she had traditional Persian stews like khoresht, karafs, and gheymeh. This beats some of the older customs like jumping over fire, hitting each other with scallions, and bastani.

The research for this project relates to being an inquirer and being open-minded. It relates to being an inquirer due to learning about new customs and how they became to be. The research included learning the origins of Holi and all of the dishes on Nowruz. It also relates to being open-minded. This is due to being accepting of these customs and different religious beliefs and not discriminating and writing hateful sentences about them.  

• Holi and Nowruz

All Posts

A Recap of the Pittsburgh Primaries and What They Mean for Public Education

• Holi and Nowruz

All Posts

The Eagle Interviews Registered Nurse and Author Theresa Brown

• Holi and Nowruz

All Posts

Results Come in For Governor, U.S. Senate Primaries

• Holi and Nowruz

All Posts

The Injustice of Standardized Tests

• Holi and Nowruz

All Posts

We Interviewed Lindsey Williams, Democratic Candidate for Senate District 38

• Holi and Nowruz

All Posts

We Interviewed Stephanie Walsh, Democratic Candidate for Senate District 38

• Holi and Nowruz

All Posts

Obama Baseball Wraps Up Season

• Holi and Nowruz

All Posts

Kilauea: Hawaii Volcano Eruption

• Holi and Nowruz

All Posts

Discrimination Against LGBTQ+ Students in Schools

• Holi and Nowruz

All Posts

Obama Shoots Up In School Rankings

• Holi and Nowruz

All Posts

Senior of the Week: Hazel Rouse

• Holi and Nowruz

All Posts

Special Olympics Track and Field Returns

• Holi and Nowruz

All Posts

All You Need to Know About… Cinco de Mayo

• Holi and Nowruz

All Posts

Our Visit to the Andy Warhol Museum

• Holi and Nowruz

All Posts

A Recap of Model 2018!

• Holi and Nowruz

All Posts

Obama YAG Swears in 2018-19 Officers

• Holi and Nowruz

All Posts

Obama Takes Part in National Day of Silence

• Holi and Nowruz

All Posts

Who Should Replace Stephen Foster?

• Holi and Nowruz

All Posts

What Do We Celebrate?

• Holi and Nowruz

All Posts

Deliciously Cheap: LaScola’s

• Holi and Nowruz

All Posts

Senior of the Week: Isaac Winograd

• Holi and Nowruz

All Posts

Manchester Craftsman’s Guild Very Own- Jeff Guerrero, Part One

• Holi and Nowruz

All Posts

Obama Tenth Graders Make a Preschool Visit

• Holi and Nowruz

All Posts

A New Day for LGBTQ+ Youth in the Middle School

• Holi and Nowruz

All Posts

Councilwoman Erika Strassburger Speaks with the Eagle

• Holi and Nowruz

All Posts

A Call For Middle School Writers!

• Holi and Nowruz

All Posts

Pianist, Composer Douglas Levine Offers Master Class at Obama

• Holi and Nowruz

All Posts

State Representative Visits Obama

• Holi and Nowruz

All Posts

Senior of the Week: Bryn Young

• Holi and Nowruz

All Posts

Potiguaya Comes to Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh Barack Obama Academy of International Studies
Holi and Nowruz