Michael Rosfeld’s Acquittal is Just Another in a Long Line of Abuses of Power

Michael+Rosfeld

Michael Rosfeld

Michael Rosfeld

Michael Rosfeld

Michael Rosfeld

Sam Bisno, Editor-in-Chief

The man who killed Antwon Rose II last June has been cleared of homicide charges.

Michael Rosfeld, a white former East Pittsburgh police officer, pulled over a car that Rose, an African-American 17-year-old, was a passenger in because it matched descriptions of a vehicle present at an earlier drive-by shooting. Shortly thereafter, Rose was dead. Rosfeld claimed that he thought Rose was carrying a weapon. He was not. In fact, Rose was running away from the scene, his back turned, when Rosfeld shot him three times. Rose never even faced his killer, let alone pointed a gun at him.

To many, a conviction seemed like a matter of common sense. Rose posed no real threat to Rosfield, so self-defense was not applicable; how, then, could this be anything other than manslaughter? But the members of the jury thought differently. After four days of trial, it took just four hours to reach a verdict: not guilty.

As pathetic as that is, it’s not really that surprising. According to the Washington Post’s fatal force database, 221 people have been shot and killed by police in America so far this year. Last year’s total was 998. A shocking number of the ensuing trials tell a similar tale to that of Antwon Rose — if there even is a trial.

In 2017, police bullets ended 987 lives. Only six of the officers responsible were brought to trial that year. As of late 2018, only 93 officers who used their firearms lethally since 2005 had been tried, and only about a third of them had been convicted of any crime whatsoever. From that frame of reference, it was actually a small miracle that Rosfeld ever appeared in front of a jury — the vast majority of his contemporaries are spared the inconvenience.

Said Allegheny Attorney General Stephen A. Zappala, Jr. in a statement following the announcement of Rosfeld’s acquittal, “In the interest of justice, we must continue to do our job of bringing charges in situations where charges are appropriate.”

Here’s the thing: charges are always appropriate. In no other setting than in that of the police officer versus the civilian is there a question of whether a potential homicide should be subject to legal examination. Some say that police officers cannot effectively perform their jobs unless they are comfortable in the knowledge that acting on spur-of-the-moment inclinations will not result in punishment. But if a police officer’s job is to maintain peace, the power to arbitrarily, whimsically strip someone of their life fundamentally undermines that duty.

And here’s the other thing: charges are meaningless if they never result in convictions.

For every Michael Rosfeld we let walk free, we reinforce the tacit understanding that a police officer can commit murder and get away with it, especially if the victim is a person of color. Until the legal system proves capable of disrupting the pattern that it began, the protests won’t stop.

Sam Bisno, Editor-in-Chief

“When I was looking at the electives list before school started in ninth grade and I saw the option for a journalism class, I was ecstatic. Writing has...

• Michael Rosfeld’s Acquittal is Just Another in a Long Line of Abuses of Power

All Posts

Obama YAG Wins Big at Model Convention

All Posts

Senior of the week: Jason Thomas

All Posts

A Day After Protests, Students Share Why They Didn’t Go

All Posts

Who Will be the Democratic Presidential Candidate in 2020?

All Posts

Michael Rosfeld Acquitted on All Charges for the Killing of Antwon Rose II

All Posts

Senior of the Week: Mya Young

All Posts

“Savior Samuel” Celebrates 15th Anniversary of Pittsburgh Playwrights Theater Company

All Posts

Dr. Knox and Mr. Mal

All Posts

Senior of the Week: Raven Haston

All Posts

Northside Chronicle Editor Ashlee Green on Hyper-Local Journalism

All Posts

The Green Book

All Posts

Why Going BPA-Free Might Not Be As Great As You Think

All Posts

Senior of the Week Talaya Caldwell

All Posts

Responses to The Hate U Give

All Posts

Black Life

All Posts

Senior of the Week: Ava Eckenrode

All Posts

Senior of the Week: Ta’Shown Taylor

All Posts

Students Frustrated by New Bus Pass Failures

All Posts

LeadYoung Initiative: Sophie Levitt

All Posts

Reflecting on the Life of Jonathan Freeman

All Posts

Author, Harvard Professor Jill Lepore on the Historical Record and the Direction of the Future

All Posts

An Interview with Mayor Marita Garrett

All Posts

Movie Reviews: Keeping Lessons from History Alive

All Posts

Senior of the Week: Atavia Carter

All Posts

Speaker Series: Producer, Designer, DJ on Making Money with Media

All Posts

LeadYoung Initiative Week 5: Mahika Halepete

All Posts

Post-Gazette Executive Editor to Step Down

All Posts

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette News Editor Lillian Thomas Visits Obama!

All Posts

LeadYoung Initiative Week 4: Sarah Toumi

All Posts

Senior of the Week: The Brain of a Boxer (Laron Rockymore)

Pittsburgh Barack Obama Academy of International Studies