Senior of the Week: Daevan Mangalmurti

Senior of the Week: Daevan Mangalmurti

Senior Daevan Mangalmurti

Senior Daevan Mangalmurti

Senior Daevan Mangalmurti

Senior Daevan Mangalmurti

Caleb Nesbit, Student Life Writer

The next Senior of the Week is none other than Mr. Daevan Mangalmurti. Considering how much this man has done, it’s hard to believe that Daevan has only been going to Obama for 4 years. He’s the Senior Class Treasurer, one of the founding members of Purple Eagle Ventures (PEV), an (assistant) captain of the Obama Eagles frisbee team, and one of the organizers for the Speaker Series. I got to sit down with the 2020 Senior to talk about his experience at Obama.

CN: What do you plan on doing after high school?

DM: I’m not totally sure what I want to do, but I do know that I plan on attending college. More importantly, I hope that whatever I do, I end up working in global conflict resolution.

CN: What is your favorite high school memory?

DM: I would have to say the weekly after YAG tea sessions at Bird on the Run.

CN: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

DM: In all honesty, I will probably be in school or taking a year off to volunteer in the Peace Corps or AmeriCorps.

CN: Sum up your entire high school experience in one word or one short phrase.

DM: Metamorphosis.

CN: Interesting… So, what is something you like to do in your free time?

DM: Well, when I can find free time, I enjoy visiting new restaurants in Pittsburgh.

CN: Would you recommend Obama to incoming students and why?

DM: I would and I do on almost a daily basis. I think that’s because Obama has a really crucial combination of three things: a really strong educational experience through IB (International Baccalaureate Program), tremendous diversity because of the students who attend the school, and it’s a land of opportunity for people who are willing to make the most of what’s offered here. I think it’s a young school, it’s a new school, and you can shape it as a student.

CN: If you had to do it all again, would you change anything?

DM: I mean, always. There are always things I can think about changing. However, I would say that if I changed anything, I wouldn’t be where I am right now. I don’t think in reality I would have changed anything. I might have bought more red pants.

CN: Any final words of wisdom for any up and coming students.

DM: Focus on the quality of your friends and not the quantity of them.

Daevan is one of my closest friends at Obama and I truly believe that he is one of the best people you can know. He is always there when his friends truly need him and he does his best to help them succeed. He is always up for a good debate on anything… literally anything. He is extremely knowledgeable and if you’ve ever met him he has probably taught you a thing or two. One of the best things about him is how much he cares about Obama. For the past 4 years, he has worked to make positive changes in the school because he cares about it. Next year, I hope that Obama finds someone that cares about the school at least half as much as Daevan does because it’s people like him that influence and inspire students to be better. 

Author’s Note: The International Baccalaureate Program offers high-quality education to students around the world. Obama is the only school in the Pittsburgh Public School District that offers this program.