The mundane school life: A students thoughts on education

Sophie Kachur, The Eagle Staff Columnist

Every week, hundreds of thousands of children attend school in America. We spend so much time there, and our life at home just floats by. Weekends are spent enjoying the laze, but in the back of our minds, there’s always that dread of the alarm clocks. We can’t fully enjoy our free time, because there’s always homework and school just a little ways away. Really, the student life is dull. Granted we do get to learn and create, but we do it because we have to, it’s the right thing to do, even if we don’t want to. 

I asked a couple of students what they thought about in school, how they felt about it, and most answers were similar to, “I think about a bunch of things, but most of all, it’s about getting out of school.” Even outside of school we have to think about when school will begin and when it will end; we have to manage our time. “Can I watch my show, or do I have to do homework? Darn, looks like homework, I really wanted to watch some TV and tune out for a little!”

Eventually, we have to look past our school. It may be boring at most times, it may annoy us, and it may take up an abundance of our time, but we need it. The mundane life of students has to be ignored so that we can benefit from our time in school. When you’re grown, hopefully you’ll look back at school and think, “God, that was boring and annoying, but, it’s a good thing I stayed in school. I’m glad that I got that step ahead in life by going to school.” Really, that’s what we need right now, a place for us to learn create, and grow even if it can be boring and aggravating.